Why do the currants turn yellow leaves: the causes and ways to combat the problem
Currant - unpretentious shrub, but oftengardeners think about why the currant leaves turn yellow? Premature yellowness of the leaves appears more often on the bushes of red and white currants, but the owners of varieties of large black currants are also sometimes upset about this.
Why do the currants turn yellow leaves: the main reasons
Being exposed to some diseases and attackspests, black currant can lose the quality of its fruits. The leaves of the plant are twisted, covered with brown spots, turn yellow and fall off. Mass damage to the leaves of the bush can lead to a weakened state and even to the death of the plant.
The main causes of yellowing leaves in the currant are:
- Wrong landing. From the correct choice of the site depends on the development of the bush. Currant prefers fertile, loamy, well-moistened soil. The plant will develop poorly on dry, unprotected from the winds, as well as marshy places.
- Inconsistency in the temperature of planting. Often the question of why the currant leaves turn yellow, worries those gardeners who practice planting young shrubs in the early spring. In the spring, frosts are still possible, and low temperatures inhibit the growth of currant buds. The optimal temperature for intensive growth and development of the plant is + 18 + 20 ° C. Therefore, young bushes develop better if they are planted in autumn.
- Incorrect formation of a young bushcurrants. When buying a young plant, look to see that it had from 4 to 6 strong stems and a developed root system. Planting a bush in the soil, you need to shortly cut all its shoots, thereby increasing the growth and the formation of new, quality shoots. If this procedure is not done, the plant simply can not withstand a large number of emerging leaves. As a result, the leaves turn yellow at the black currant and the whole shoots dry.
- Poor nutrient soil. Black currants need to be fertilized every year with nitrogen, phosphorousand potash substances. The standard recommended ratio of organic or mineral substances to support one currant bush is 40 grams of ammonium nitrate, 40 g of superphosphate, 30 g of potassium chloride. After 6-7 years, lime should be added to the soil around the plant if the soil is too acidic. In order to increase the yield and increase the growth of shoots, you should regularly and properly care for the bush.
- Currant and inflorescence leaves are often amazedshallow aphids and fungus. As a result, they turn yellow, roll into tubules or become covered with small hills of fungal diseases. The sheet plate becomes hard, bumpy and eventually disappears. These and other diseases arise from incorrect agricultural techniques - an inappropriate place of planting a bush and poor-quality fertilizing;
- If the currant bush is already old, large,fructifying for many years, then the question of why the currant leaves turn yellow, the answer is obvious - from time to time. The productive life of this plant is 16-18 years. But the proper care, including regular feeding, shaping and pruning of bush shoots, prolongs the life of the currant for another ten years.
Now you know why the leaves turn yellowcurrants. In order for the bush to delight you with the heavy clusters of its medicinal berries in the next year, take care of it this year, adhering to our recommendations for caring for the plant.