Where is the source of the Moscow River? Geography, description and photo of the Moscow River
Slowly and measuredly carries its waters across the plainsCentral Russia is the legendary Moscow River. It also flows through the capital past ancient houses, granite parapets of embankments, periodically diving under the openwork arches of beautiful bridges. Where is the source of the Moscow River? Where does she go? And what's interesting about it you can tell?
Moscow River: photo and description
The length of the watercourse is 502 kilometers, widthdoes not exceed 200 meters, the total height of the fall of water is 155 meters. At the same time, the Moscow River collects its water from the territory, which area is equal to 17.6 thousand square kilometers.
Approximately one-sixth of the total lengththe river falls on the city of Moscow. And within the megalopolis, it is actually turned into a chain of regulated reservoirs. Within the city limits on the Moscow River there are several well-maintained beaches. In addition to the capital, on the banks of the river there are nine other cities, as well as a number of villages and historic monasteries. Among the latter - Novodevichy, Andreevsky, Novospassky and Novo-Golutvin monastery.
The etymology of the word "Moscow" is controversial and ambiguous. According to one theory, its origin is associated with the ancient Baltic word forms. In this case, it can be translated as "swamp" or as a "meandering river".
Where is the source of the Moscow River? Where does it go and how does it change? You will learn more about this later.
The Moscow River: the source and the mouth
At first to the city of Moscow the river flows strictly ineast direction. Then it changes to the southeast. Where is the source of the Moscow River? In this issue, scientists still can not put an end to. However, most geographers believe that the river originates in the Starkovsky bog, 3 kilometers from the railway station Drovnino. Behind this place in the people the specific name Moskvoretsky puddle was fixed. In 2004, on the site of the source of the river, a chapel was built according to a project created by the architect Vasnetsov at the beginning of the 20th century.
In its upper reaches the Moscow River flowsthrough the ridges of sandy moraine hills. After Mozhaisk its banks become very steep and precipitous: here the channel cuts through the harder layers of limestone. In the middle reaches the river considerably expands. Here its shores are mostly occupied by forests.
Having passed the capital, the Moscow River further extendsits own channel. In the floodplain, there are vast meadows, old people and small lakes. The Moscow River flows into the Oka near Kolomna. Here the width of its channel reaches 200 meters.
Hydrological regime, ecology and current state of the river
The Moscow River feeds mainly on thawedsnowy waters. At the same time, spring floods account for about 65% of its total annual runoff. The river freezes somewhere at the end of November, but opens at the end of March. Within the capital, the ice sheet on the canal may be unstable, since a huge amount of warm water is discharged into the river in the city.
The banks of the Moscow River were inhabited by a manhas long been. In many settlements along its current archaeologists have discovered Neolithic sites. In ancient times the river was part of the most important waterway that connected Novgorod with Smolensk.
The modern ecological state of the Moscow Riveris estimated as unsatisfactory. Especially in the capital and downstream. Doctors do not recommend fishermen to fish in the river in the city. The section of the channel in the area of the Kuryanovskaya aeration station is too polluted with elements of biogenic origin (phosphates, nitrites and ammonium).
Interesting facts about the river
We offer readers some more striking facts about this Russian river:
- In the capital in the Moscow River there are at least 30 species of bone fish;
- The ichthyofauna of the waters of the Moscow River includes evenexotic representatives, for example, gobies and guppies. The first, according to the scientists, migrated from the lower reaches of the Volga, and the latter - from the aquarium of some Muscovite;
- hydronym "Moscow" is not unique: at least two more rivers with the same name can be found on the map (one of them is in the Omsk region of Russia, and the other in Ukraine, in Transcarpathia);
- where is the source of the river of Moscow - about this so farargued hydrologists and local lore. Some of them argue that it is not located in the tract of Starykovo in the Moscow region. Many experts call the beginning of the river Mikhalevskoe Lake, located in the neighboring Smolensk region;
- The transparency of the water in the river varies according to the seasons;
- Within the limits of the capital, the Moscow River makes 6 deep bends;
- In the summer of 2010, marine jellyfish were seen in the water area of the Moskva River.
Now you know where the source of the Moscow River issearch on the map. It is located within the Starkovsky bog, which borders the Moscow and Smolensk regions. Further, the river overcomes 502 kilometers along the plains and moraine hills of Central Russia, after which it flows into the channel of the Oka River.