What to feed the hamster?
Hamster seems very nice and simple in everyday lifeanimals. In food, not whimsical, eats what they give, does not make noise and does not take up much space, but if you want your hamster to be healthy and live a long life, you better take care of its nutrition. So, what to feed the hamster so that it is healthy.
Than you can not feed a hamster
- Hamsters can not be sweet, fatty, salty and spicy, so do not feed it with the remains of your food.
- Do not feed him bread and pastries, honey, mushrooms with chocolate, fat cheese, ice cream, fatty meat, cabbage, potatoes, onions, peppers and garlic and carefully choose fruits.
Basic diet, vitamin supplements and goodies
What can you feed hamsters every day, and than only occasionally to treat:
- Cereal mixtures - they are sold in pet stores andare intended either for any rodent or for hamsters. They consist of cereals (wheat, oats), nuts (peanuts), peas or beans, millet cereals, sunflower seeds and may contain special treats for a hamster such as dried berries. This is the basis for feeding the hamster, the mixture should be a daily permanent product, yet the rest can be added occasionally. The amount of mixture per day depends on the size of your hamster, the breed and the number of additional products. In addition to the bulk, leave the hamster some more food in reserve so that he can eat at any time when he is hungry.
- Water - it should be clean and fresh. Hamster is not suitable for mineral water, because it contains extra mineral salts for it, raw water from the tap is also not suitable. The best is boiled filtered water. Change it more often, especially if your hamster is not accurate and throws a bowl of water with food and sawdust. It is best to use an automatic drinking bowl, it will help to avoid contamination. You can not restrict the hamster access to water, especially you can not deprive him of water, replacing it with fruit, believing that the juice will be enough.
- Fruits, vegetables, berries - many of them are forbiddenhamsters, for example citrus fruits and exotic fruits, potatoes, cabbages, and some can accumulate harmful substances, such as watermelons, so juicy fruits and vegetables are not recommended for hamsters, but you can offer them what you have gathered outside the city and are sure of their purity. Wash thoroughly and remove all bones. You can give him as a treat delicacies and fruit chips. From vegetables, pumpkin and carrots are good, apples can be grown for adult hamsters.
- Herbs and herbs - lettuce, parsley, dill,celery and dandelion greens need to give the hamster in small quantities, naturally washed and those that grew not on the road or in the city, but in an ecologically clean place, even if it's a pot on your window. But the houseplants hamster should in no case be allowed to gnaw, they can be poisonous.
- Seeds and nuts - not fried, except almonds, soas it contains hydrocyanic acid and like fruit bones can cause severe poisoning. These foods are a treat and give them rarely and little by little.
- Once a week, you can feed the hamsterskim milk products, but in very small quantities. And also a small amount of products that contain animal protein - a piece of boiled egg, or boiled chicken meat.
So, for example, what to feed the Dzhungar hamster: one teaspoon of cereal mixture a day, fresh water, dried strawberries, once a week protein and another day greens. What to feed the Syrian hamster: two or three teaspoons of a grain mixture, fresh water, a slice of apple. Differences only in the volume of food, otherwise the treats and additives alternate at their discretion, so that they do not intersect in one day - milk on Monday, greens on Wednesday, and eggs on Friday.