What is the use of a mediator in conflict resolution: mediator functions, methods and peculiarities of resolving the situation
The clash of interests, the quarrel caused bythe divergence of views on this or that issue - all these are conflict situations. Sometimes both opponents lose their composure and can not come to a consensus, which only aggravates the situation. The only way out here is to attract a third person - an intermediary. How is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? What functions does it perform? The information below is helpful in answering these questions.
Who is the intermediary?
Mediator (mediator) is a person (a group of people),helping in conflict resolution. Far from any conflict situation deserves the attention of the mediator. Disputes in which opponents can independently come to a truce, do not need outside interference. Mediation in conflict resolution is used when there are a lot of problems between the parties, and also is used as a model for resolving future conflict situations.
What is mediation?
This process is a systematic identification of problems, their solution, the search for an alternative, as well as assistance in reaching a consensus (taking into account the interests of both sides).
Conflict resolution with the help of an intermediaryallows you to reduce the negative attitude to no, weaken the passions, avoid the rupture of long-term relationships and assault, illegal actions. Mediation does not take into account the personal qualities of each participant in the conflict, if they do not interfere with the process of establishing a truce.
Mediation aims to eliminateconflict situation and to prevent its development, repetition in the future. The events that precede the conflict, as well as the character traits of opponents, are not particularly important, although they should be taken into account by the mediator.
Intermediaries in the conflict and their functions
The mediator must have unquestioningauthority on both sides, otherwise the process of resolution will not be effective, and the mediator can become a direct participant in the conflict. It is important that the mediator is interested in resolving the dispute: he must objectively assess the situation and not occupy either side as opposed to the other.
What is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? Social science gives the answer: the mediator is able to withdraw opponents from the conflict without causing any moral damage, infringement of the rights and interests of both sides.
The main tasks of the intermediary
Before starting work, the mediator mustmake sure that all the participants in the dispute are aware of each other's desires and needs, and also that his wards recognize the existence of a conflict situation.
The prerogative of the mediator is:
- Development of a draft agreement, which each party must unconditionally accept.
- Bringing to the opponents that all responsibility for the decisions made will rest solely on them.
- Elimination of the negative between the participants in the dispute, caused by the conflict situation, through negotiations.
How is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? The fact that he observes complete neutrality. The mediator must be impartial, his prerogative is to consider the opinion of each of the parties, while he can not take sides while resolving the conflict.
The mediator helps:
- Overcome obstacles to the normal coexistence of participants in a conflict of interest.
- To direct all forces on search of alternative decisions.
- Deal with the negative, come to a consensus, while taking into account the interests and needs of all parties to the conflict.
Than the help of the mediator from psychological consultation differs
The goal of the mediator is to find a compromise, to work outa certain plan of action to eliminate the conflict itself and its consequences. That is, the mediator is making efforts to solve a specific problem through a constructive dialogue between the two sides. Here, there is no analysis of the internal turmoil of the parties to the conflict, the restoration of personal relationships, as well as the adjustment of behavioral characteristics of individuals. Psychology deals with these issues, and mediation refers to sociology, since it does not take into account aspects of the human soul.
How is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? The mediator controls the actions and dialogue of the participants in the controversial situation, thus being the instrument for regulating the social world. The mediator contributes to the establishment of equality in the dispute, as well as the normalization of everyday communication (at work, school, at home).
Methods of influence
There are three main methods for regulating a conflict situation by the intermediary:
- Pressure on one of the conflicting parties.
- Declination of all parties to the dispute to reconciliation.
In the first case, the mediator tries, with the help of suggestion and arguments, to make one of the parties believe in his wrong. As a result, the opponent surrenders and makes concessions.
The tendency to reconciliation is a constantwork with each of the participants in the dispute, explaining the incorrectness of the position. The mediator explains to the individuals how wrong their actions and words are directed towards their opponents.
With the diplomatic resolution of the problem, the intermediaryIt uses individual conversations with the participants in the conflict, leading them to possible ways out of the negative situation and coordinating them with each of the parties.
What knowledge should a mediator have?
Participating in the settlement of the conflict situation, the mediator must know that:
- It is necessary to talk individually with each of the parties.
- During the dialogue, one should establish own rules that prohibit the manifestation of aggression and physical violence.
- The procedure for eliminating negativity is carried out exclusively in a confidential and calm environment.
- It is important for the opponents to convey information that the subject of the dispute is that barrier to a constructive dialogue that needs to be overcome.
- Stimulation of conversation is his prerogative.
- The decision to end the confrontation should suit everyone and be mutual.
How is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? The fact that in a protracted dispute, both sides can avoid interference of security agencies only through the participation of a mediator. However, it is worthwhile to know that by themselves mediators are not lawyers and can not give any advice related to legal norms.
Youth conflicts and mediation
The most unpredictable, emotional anda mentally unbalanced age is a pubertal period. Conflict situations among peers can arise on any issue, whether it is elementary external dissimilarity or rivalry, struggle for attention of the opposite sex.
How useful is an intermediary in the resolution of youthconflicts? Thanks to the mediator, the dispute can be resolved quickly and without some dangerous moments (violence, mutual insults). The mediator here can be an adult or a more experienced individual of the same age with participants in a negative situation. The authority of the mediator must be unshakeable on both sides, otherwise it will be impossible to reach an agreement.
Volunteers from public organizations, teachers, parents and close relatives, as well as more authoritative peers are usually the mediators.
What is the mediator useful in resolving the conflict? Examples from life
Mediation is necessary in cases wherethe conflict situation begins to go beyond the boundaries, that is, the parties go over to individuals, start insulting each other, defending their interests. But it is enough for them to explain that their needs can be fully satisfied, as there is the possibility of constructive dialogue.
Examples of the activities of the intermediary:
- In family. Between the sister and brother there was a conflict on the basis of misunderstanding, they begin to quickly find out the relationship. In a negative situation, the father of children interferes - his authority is unshakable, which means that they will listen to the parent's opinion. Acting as an intermediary, the father uses a method of pressure or a method of inducing both sides to reconciliation. Another example is the divorce proceedings. The third person helps the participants in the conflict to settle the issue of further education of children.
- At work. One of the employees expressed dissatisfaction with another member of the collective, to which he responded with mutual reproaches. This escalated the conflict. In the role of mediator, the person occupying a leading position is here. It is the boss who can competently judge the participants in the quarrel. In most cases, the mediator uses the method of pressure or shuttle diplomacy to resolve the situation.
- On learning. Conflicting students or students can be judged by a teacher, director, dean, a person who has authority in their eyes. The clash of adolescents is difficult to prevent, but it is even more difficult to resolve it. The mediator in this situation applies the method of diplomacy or tries to gently lead the world to all participants in the confrontation.