What is the dose?
Dose of substance
In this phrase under the word "dose"means a certain amount of once-used substance. For example, it may be a medication that has been prescribed to a patient, or a poison that has been absorbed by someone.
In this context, a number of stable expressions can be used, for example:
- The highest daily dose (within the pharmacopeia, is relevant for potent drugs).
- Effective dose (used in pharmacology).
- Shock dose (pharmacotherapy).
- Equivalent dose (pharmacokinetics).
- Medial latent dose (toxicology), etc.
Dose of irradiation
This phrase is used mainly inphysics and radiobiology. By the term "dose of irradiation" is meant a certain value that is used to assess the degree of exposure of ionizing radiation to organisms and their tissues, as well as to any substances.
Ionizing radiation is a synonym for the term"radiation". If you want to learn more about this term, you should read our reference article on What is radiation. It describes not only the types of radiation radiation, but also various doses of radiation and their effect on the body.