What is sel?
The unusual word "Sel" came to us from the Arabic language, where it means "stormy stream". What kind of stream is it, and what is agriculture? About this right now.
We already know that agriculture is a kind of stream. More precisely, it is a mass flow with a high concentration of mineral particles, debris of rocks, and stones. This mass is a cross between liquid and solid mass. These streams arise suddenly, usually in the field of dry meadows and basins of small mountain rivers.
Approximately so, it is possible to describe, that such villages. Now let's talk about the characteristics of this phenomenon.
- The phenomenon is considered short-lived, lasts an average of 1-3 hours.
- Sown (or mudflows) have an average speed of 2-4 meters per second. They reach streams and speeds of 4-6 m / s, becoming more destructive.
- Passing muds leave behind a dry bed. It happens that there are small streams in the channels.
- The frontal part of the mudflows is characterized by the shape of the shaft from the water and sediments.
Causes of mudflows
- Severe rainfall.
- Melting glaciers or snow cover.
- Deforestation in the highlands. The roots of trees restrain the soil of the mountainous terrain, thus preventing the occurrence of mudflows.
Seated: places of origin
The potential mudflow foci are mudslidesbasins or mudflow channels with a large amount of crumbly clastic material and the conditions of its accumulation, which turn into operating mudflows as a result of the emergence of certain flood conditions (showers, glaciers, etc.).
There are three types of mudflow foci:
- The mudflow is a morphological formation that arose in the thickness of ancient moraine deposits.
- The mudflow is a morphological formation of linear character (typical for rocky, forested slopes).
- Foci of dispersed mudflow formation -A dense, ramified network of furrows of strongly destroyed rocks. The formation of small mudflows due to accumulations of weathering products of rocks leads to the formation of a single mudflow channel.