We put the child to sleep without tears and hysterics: how to put the child to bed at night and during the day after the infant and older child without motion sickness, bedtime rituals
The eternal problem of parents: put the child to sleep. It does not matter, a couple of months he or several years - problems with sleep always exist. Depending on age, the biological rhythms of a child or the particular nervous system of an infant can be factors for such sleep disorders. Whatever the cause, let's try to figure out how to put the child to sleep without tears, whims and tantrums.
The main thing in the article
Why the child does not want to sleep?
Before you learn to put your child to bed correctly, you need to understand the reasons for not wanting to fall asleep.In infants, anxiety and lack of sleep can cause:
- wet diaper (nappy);
- uncomfortable room temperature;
As for older children, leading psychologists identify a number of reasons why a child does not want to sleep:
- In the understanding of a baby, going to bed is parting with an interesting occupation or having fun talking with parents, which he is engaged in at a given time.
- The psychological factor works - mom and dad can not sleep, but they make me. As a protest is the rejection of sleep.
- The body of the child is full of energy. Scarce does not have time to squander it in a day, so he feels like a "hearty". And not a tired baby is very difficult to "persuade" to fall asleep.
- The fear of darkness in many cases is the cause of the refusal of night rest.
- A nightmare can frighten a child and provoke hostility to the sleep process. He will be afraid to fall asleep in order not to see terrible dreams again.
- Indulging can also cause you to stop sleeping. The child understands that if he refuses to sleep now, then the parents and all the other family members (especially the grandmothers) will circle around him, cheering (sweets, toys) in every way and persuading them to go to sleep.
- There is a certain percentage of inquisitive, active children who are bored to sleep, and they are trying to sneak away from this process in order to learn something new and interesting.
How to put an infant to sleep?
More than 80% of families with a baby know firsthand about the problems of putting such children to bed. We propose to consider two ways to put an infant to sleep.
1. Easy way.
You need to pick up the baby in the bed. Ideally, the baby will suck the breast (the last feeding) and fall asleep. Further, even waking up in the middle of the night, in the absence of compelling reasons (hunger, colic, etc.), the newborn, feeling mother's warmth and smell, falls asleep again independently.
2. For those who are not afraid of difficult ways when the crumb is sleeping in a separate bed.
Here it is necessary to consider a number of options, but parents will choose the most suitable one.
- The child falls asleep at the breast and is laid in his crib.
- Mom rocks the baby, sings him lullabies.
- Tight swaddling does not allow the baby to move, and he begins to fall asleep. Do not forget to stroke or pat the baby's diaper.
- Water treatment at bedtime.Bath relaxes, and if it is on herbs (chamomile, calendula, etc.), it also calms.
- Put the child in his bed and, stroking, speak with him in a quiet, measured tone.
How to put a child to sleep: observe the ritual
Starting from 8-12 months, you can try to implement"Sleepy ritual". It is based on the repetition of the same action daily before bedtime. The child should take the ritual positively and associate it with falling asleep. They spend it 30–40 minutes before going to the “kingdom of Morpheus”, but after the baby has cleaned his teeth and changed into his pajamas. The ritual can be:
- Parting.Choose an item to say goodbye before bedtime. This may be the sun, the machine (standing in the courtyard), stars. Saying goodbye to them, the baby goes to bed.
- Favorite toy.Usually, children love plush "friends" and gladly take them to bed, where they fall asleep, hugging.
- Reading tales.Such a ritual sets the child to a positive sleep. He gradually falls asleep under my mother's voice.
- View your favorite cartoonor children's tales.
- Lullabyalso becomes part of the ritual of laying down children.
There are special games that are aimed at calming the child and preparing him for bed. Imagine two games that are most popular.
Daytime sleep: put the child without problems
The daytime sleep for little babies also has its own nuances. It is impossible to completely abandon such dreams, since they contribute to the normal development of all the organs and systems of the child. Children often have their own opinion about the daytime sleep, and it categorically does not coincide with the opinion of the parents. In other words, they simply refuse to go to bed during the day.
There are several rules by which the baby will fall asleep in the afternoon much faster.
- Habitsleep day should be worked out since childhood. Mother's task is to organize the day of the child so that he goes to bed at the same time every day. Getting used to the regimen is putting the baby to bed without problems.
- To the child slept during the day, you must createthe setting. That is, in the room for rest should be calm, quiet atmosphere. Since the children sleep quite sensitively (this is due to the formation of the psyche), even the most insignificant sounds can disturb the rest.
- Related conditionsfor sleep must be a must! This is an air temperature of 19–21 ° С.
- Airingthe room will contribute to a better sleep crumbs.
- The baby sleeps best whenfull and tired. Therefore, before dining, it is best to take a walk in the fresh air, “nurture your appetite,” after that, feed the toddler and only then put the baby to sleep.
How to put the baby to sleep without motion sickness?
In order for the child to fall asleep on his own, without cradling and help, mother needs to be patient. Such training should begin in infancy. For this you need:
- put the baby in the crib while still awake, let him try to sleep on his own;
- at night, do not take the child to yourself; approach it yourself, stroke it, calm it down. If you are breastfeeding at night, after feeding, send the baby back to his bed;
- watch your baby: as soon as you notice that he is rubbing his eyes, yawns, then immediately send him to the crib;
- The easiest way to lull a baby is to feed. Give him a chest, after the baby eats and falls asleep near her, put him in the crib.
For those who do not wish to combine evening feeding and falling asleep, the following method will be interesting. The method of self-sleep offersTracy hogg(foreign child psychologist) he is called"Timer".
Also get to know the methodNathan Daylo.
How to persuade an older child to sleep?
Well, if with babies everything is more or less clear, then what about children who do not suck already and have their own opinion about how and when they should sleep?
At an older age, putting the child to sleep, it is better to leave the room. If the first time fails and the child jumps up, go back and lay again, while emphasizing that it’s time to sleep and all the toys, books, etc., are already sleeping and under the onslaught of his whims not to take into his room or bed. After several days of such “procedures”, the child realizes that the time for sleep has come, and will go to bed on his own.
Is there some moremethod of increasing the distance. Take this technique to older children. Initially, you are sitting on the baby’s bed, after - on a stool nearby, after - wish him good night, standing in the door, etc.Removal should be done gradually and unobtrusively, then the result will please 100% independent "falling asleep".
It is possible that the child does not allow fear to fall asleep. This may be the fear of the dark, a dreaming nightmare or a monster living in the closet. Find out what the child is afraid of and eliminate this factor. If darkness is to blame, turn on the nightlight, if it's a nightmare, explain that these are all illusions and in fact this does not happen, and a monster from the closet will help expel the ritual (you can invent it on the go).
About"Sleepy rituals"we have said, you can use any of them. This is also quite a powerful psychological impact.
How to put a child to sleep without tears and tantrums?
Of course, the method of putting a child to bed at 3 months differs significantly from the method of lulling a 2-3-year-old baby. But even the three-year-old is still too small, he needs additional actions in order to go to the “kingdom of Morpheus”. It can be:
- gentle mother's stroking on the head;
- lullaby or specific music;
- sitting next to mom;
- a fairy tale read at night;
- sleeping in the bed of the baby teddy bear, etc.
But not everything is so rosy, even in the presence of conditional factors or rituals for falling asleep, children quite often do not want to do this, and here is why.
- At first,improper organization of the day of the child.A crumb, sitting all day at the TV, does not want to rest, because he does not have enough energy. Often take the child to the street for a walk, let him run, play active games. Such a change in the schedule in a week will give the result, and your child will fall asleep very quickly.
- Secondly,motivation.No matter how strange it may sound, the child must be motivated to sleep. Indeed, as already noted above, sleep is perceived by the baby as parting with parents and interesting activities. Therefore, it should be motivated by the evening "sleep ritual", which he will be interested to do.
Based on these conclusions, we can distinguishthree basic rulesThat will help your child fall asleep:
- The child must be physically tired during the day. Engage in active games and often bring it to fresh air.
- Do not “refer” the child to bed for disobedience. The bed should give only positive, pleasant emotions.The kid should want to go there, because there he is waiting for a plush toy, mother's hugs, an interesting fairy tale.
- Eliminate all the factors that can cause fear in the child (darkness, grandmothers). He should fall asleep with positive emotions, then the risk of the appearance of nightmarish dreams will decrease significantly.
How to put a child to sleep in 5 minutes: a selection of useful tips
According to the opinion of psychologists, it is quite possible to put your baby to bed in 5 minutes, and here are tips on how to do this.
- Council number 1. Motion sicknessIt is used in relation to the smallest kids. You can rock on the hands (the most effective option) in the crib. Psychologists say that rhythmic swaying is associated in infants with the time spent in my mother's tummy. The method is effective, but it has its drawbacks: sometimes you have to swing a crumb for half an hour, and longer, and children grow up pretty quickly, so it’s not recommended to get involved in such lulling.
- Council number 2. Last feeding, turning into sleep.After the breast, after bathing and massage, babies often “go to the kingdom of Morpheus”. The main task of the mother is to carefully transfer the toddler to her bed.If this did not work, then you should resort to the council number 1.
- Council number 3. The bed is one for three.About joint dream already mentioned above. Yes, the child can be laid in this way in 5 minutes, but ... Firstly, there is a risk to pin down the sleeping child. No matter how sensitively the parents sleep, sometimes fatigue takes its toll. Secondly, the older the crumb becomes, the harder it will be to get rid of the common bed. And family relations between spouses spoil very often because of a 4–6-year-old child sleeping with them.
Council number 4. Sequence.Again we turn to psychology. Habit is produced 21 days. Therefore, if you carry out the same actions before bedtime, the baby will get used to them, and they will lead to falling asleep. True, in order to get to sleep in 5 minutes, parents will have to teach a crumb for a month, or even two.
- Council number 5. Lay at the first sign of falling asleep.Seeing that the baby is actively rubbing his eyes and yawning, put him in the crib, and humming a lullaby, gently stroke and pat. If you had time to lay in the period when he did not have time to “go on a dream”, the baby will fall asleep in 5 minutes.
- Council number 6. Bath.Babies are taken every six months to bathe daily.Do you know why? Bath relaxes, respectively, the crumb quickly falls asleep and sleeps better. This method can be applied to older children, making water procedures "ritual for falling asleep."
- Council number 7. Smooth background.Monotony lulls not only small people, but also adults. The main thing - to find the same sound that will help "turn off" your toddler. It can be a lullaby without words, a monotonously read fairy tale, the sound of a hair dryer or the sound of a bubbling water. Experiment, and you will surely find the optimal sound for quickly lulling your baby.