Wall of glass blocksNovember 18, 2009
Glass blocks are a rather popular material for building shower cubicle walls. However, they are also used for other purposes. And we will show you some possibilities of their application.
Glass blocks are relatively long used in the construction of buildings. And, of course, not only for the construction of shower cubicles.
And still they can be seen in some block houses of the Soviet era. They are not bad at letting in light, even if it is smaller than ordinary glass, but due to refraction in thick glass, an extraordinary play of light is created.
They can be installed to break the monotony of the walls, extend the wall and build a new one. You can use glass blocks as a constructor: fold half the walls out of the blocks, install a worktop on them, and here’s a ready-made bar counter or kitchen desk.
But there are some limitations in the use of this material. The glass blocks are not very good insulating properties and low carrying capacity. And this has to be taken into account during construction.
You will have more light and quite interesting effects, when the walls inside the house or apartment are built from glass blocks, and not from gypsum board or bricks.In the center of the wall you can make a glass block window, getting an unusual design of the room. But keep in mind: in no case do not build supporting structures from glass blocks. On the glass wall can not build a brick.
If you have a desire to insert glass blocks into the wall, then this should be done as a window box. And until you have installed all the blocks, you can not build a wall above this box. Then we install the bearing horizontal bar above the glass blocks. An elastic joint about 10 mm wide is made around the window of glass blocks for compaction.
Before a wall of glass blocks is built, you need to make sure that the base is absolutely flat. Irregularities on the floor can be corrected, but if the floor is angled, then it is impossible to construct a wall of glass blocks on it.
When a wall of glass blocks is joined to another wall, the second wall should be vertical.
Before you put the blocks one on another, you need to fix the guide rails on the floor and on the wall. Straps can be fastened or glued.
- Check whether the surface is flat. If the irregularities are not very significant or the slope is less than one or two degrees, this issue can be solved with the help of glue.
- Pre-mount the wall to get an idea of its size.Remember that it is necessary to install strips between glass blocks.
Glass blocks in external walls
Glass blocks can also be used in external walls, but it is worth remembering that the insulating capacity of glass blocks does not exceed a quarter of that of a regular window. Therefore, it is not recommended to use glass blocks for exterior walls. You can take glass blocks filled with gas, insulate the same way as insulating window glass.
- Fix the strips in the floor and wall with glue. Then we start laying glass blocks.
- If the floor is not even, wedge the strap to a horizontal position. Fill the glue under the slats. If you need to lay a lot of glue, then it takes about a day to harden.
- We put the first glass block on two “sausages” of glue in the corner between the floor and the wall. The block only needs to move to the slats on the wall. Glue the short bar to the vertical edge of the next block.
- The vertical bars between the blocks should not reach their top edge, otherwise it will not be possible to install a horizontal bar over the blocks. The length of the vertical slats 12-18 cm.
- Glue the bar to the first row of glass blocks.Apply a “sausage” glue with a length of 1 cm on each edge and put the block on the blocks with the adhesive surface down and press down. We check whether the blocks are exactly installed.
Attached to the interior wall
We are building a new wall of glass blocks and slats. The blocks are attached to the floor and wall with strong glue.
The wall of glass blocks should not only be well fixed to the wall, but also have an elastic connection (seam) with the floor and wall so that both the floor and the wall can “walk”. Otherwise there will be cracks in the glass wall. To obtain an elastic seam, the gap can be filled from the inside, for example, with frigolit, and outside - with silicone or other elastic construction sealant.
Light transmitting wall
When building a wall of glass blocks, only whole blocks can be used. It is impossible to cut blocks. There are blocks of various sizes available for sale; therefore, in advance, before building a wall, prepare the number of required blocks of the appropriate size.
- Ensure that there is enough glue on the slats to hold them securely.
TIP: the glue hardens slowly, so the position of the blocks can be corrected even after a few hours.
- We take a break after laying the sixth row, as time is needed for the glue to harden. Otherwise the wall will turn out uneven. IMPORTANT! Let the glue dry for at least 12 hours before proceeding.
- Glue the strips to the edge of the wall, if the edge is intended to be sealed with a stainless steel profile. The slats will form the basis for gluing the profile. Check if the wall is straight.
- Knead the jointing solution and apply it with a float or rubber spatula. We fill all the seams, with the exception of those near the floor and the wall. The latter are sealed with silicone.
- Excess solution is removed with a sponge, diagonally passing it along the seams. In order not to leave stains, the sponge should be rinsed more often.
- The seams near the floor and the walls are filled with silicone. Their color should be the same as the rest of the seams. TIP: with glass blocks light gray solution for stitching tile.
- We attach a metal profile to the strips mounted on the edge of the wall with glue or silicone. Squeeze out a thick silicone “sausage” along the edge of the steel profile so that there is no gap.
- We press the metal profile to the edge of the wall.In order not to stain the glass blocks with silicone or glue, you can glue the tape around the edges. At the time of drying glue tape fixes the profile.
- The wall of glass blocks is ready. The work itself took not too much time, about one working day. But it took a lot of time to dry each layer of the solution.