The heel hurts - it hurts to attack: the nature and 7 main causes of pain in the calcaneus. Painkillers and folk remedies for pain in the heel when advancing
Do you feel heel pain when moving your legs? It hurts to step on a leg because the calcaneus hurts? You do not know what the causes of pain, and what to do with this problem? You got "at".This article will tell you how to recognize the incipient pathology by pain, as well as tell you how to treat various pains in the heel area that occur during the onset.
The main thing in the article
Sore heel: the nature of pain when advancing
To diagnose the pathology of the extremities, it is necessary to clearly formulate the nature of the pain present, which appears in the heel during the onset. It may be of the following nature:
- Intolerableappearing in the sesamoid bone of the foot even with a light touch. Most often, this indicates a fracture.
- Pressingarising from stress in the lower part of the heel, it may be the syndrome of plantar fasciitis.
- Burning painwhen attacking, spreading along the foot is most likely the cause of erythromelalgia.
- Acute night painin the heel, rising to the ankle, accompanied by swelling and redness, indicates rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sharply appearing while walkingand “spreading” above pain is a sign of polyneuropathy.
Why heels hurt feet: reasons
Just think about the pressure of our entire weight on our heels, and this small part of the body can withstand such a load, and with sudden movements the pressure increases up to 3-4 times. Over time thisthe natural shock absorber is aging, and by the age of 30–40 almost everyone is “getting acquainted” with the problem of heel pain.A pain symptom can be caused by various factors, both pathologies and cases not related to diseases. Pathological processes that can cause pain in the heel of the foot when stepping on include:
Also, the root cause of pain can be a trauma (fracture, bruise) or the problem of pain not related to pathology:
- regular sports activities with a load on the foot;
- overweight (obesity);
- sock uncomfortable shoes (heels);
- flat feet;
Sore heel: it hurts to attack when walking
The main reason provoking bright pain when stepping on the heel is uncomfortable shoes or heels.But provided that these factors are excluded and there are no calluses, inflammation can cause such pain.fascia foot.
The fascia is a dense sheath of muscle tissue that exists throughout the entire foot and acts as a tissue connector.
When exposed to negative factors, fascia becomes inflamed, causing pain when walking. Pushing to the onset of inflammation may be wearing narrow shoes, flat feet, constant increased loads. Over time, in the place of localization of the inflammatory process is the accumulation of salts,which can provoke degenerative changes in the structure of the sesamoid bone (solid growths are formed, which are visible) or the appearance of the heel spur.
After sleep it is painful to step on the heel: causes
The most common cause of pain in the heel area in the morning isarthritis,developing in the ankle and phalanges. Protective cells of the immune system (lymphocytes) attack the cells of the body, taking them for alien, destroying their structure. In the initial stages of the disease, pain occurs in the morning and passes, if you massage the foot a little. Having dispersed, a person ceases to feel pain, but in the presence of loads (climbing stairs, lifting weights), the pain returns with a new force. If arthritis is left without proper treatment, this pain will become chronic.
It hurts to attack: why does the heel bone hurt?
To find out the root cause - why it is painful to step on the heel, you need to understand exactly where the pain is located, in which area of the calcaneus.
- Behind.May indicateexostosis. This is the growth of bone tissue. In the case of pain in the onset of non-cancer formation is formed on the surface of the bone and reaches up to 2 cm in diameter. Education can grow in any part of the bone. Pathological deformity can bring pain when squeezing the nerve endings overgrowth or when wearing closed shoes that put pressure on the bump.
- InsideOccur pain in the inner part may be due to: bone tuberculosis, osteomyelitis, reactive arthritis.
- Deformation of the foot with a decrease in its arches isflat feetwhich is most often the cause of pain in this area. Also, flat feet can cause scoliosis.
Heel spur as the cause of pain when stepping on the heel
The heel spur is a consequence of the fascia, which was run on gravity.In places of inflamed compaction, salts accumulate, which, growing, form the so-called spur. When walking, body pressure affects the growth of salts, thereby causing pain. Also, the heel spur may occur during exostosis, which forms at the bottom of the heel bone, expanding inside the muscle tissue or outward, “looking” through the skin on the heel. Spurs caused by exostosis are not treatable (only pain relief), but are surgically removed.
A child's heel hurts: what to do and how to treat?
As already noted, mainly the development of heel pathologies begins at 30 years of age.Therefore, running to a surgeon and irradiating a child under X-rays due to a complaint of pain in the heels is not worth it. It is possible that the reason lies in:
- the presence of excess weight (obesity in a child);
- lack of calcium and other microelements due to the active growth of the body;
- uncomfortable shoes.
If the pain in the heels remains even with the exclusion of the above reasons, then this is the reason to go to the hospital for advice.
At the risk of heel pathology are girls under the age of 15 years. Injuries to the feet, overstrain (the first fashionable shoes with a heel for a still weak musculoskeletal system) can provoke Haglund-Schinz disease, which is characterized by necrosis of the sesamoid bone of the foot. When making such a diagnosis, the child should restrict movement, undergo physiotherapy and do a constant foot massage.
If the heel hurts and it hurts to attack, how to treat ailment?
Initially you need to figure outwhich doctor to go for help?Consider which specialists treat certain diseases:
- Orthopedist- it is treated with flat feet. Having studied the problem, he will prescribe certain gymnastic exercises and massage, as well as prescribe special insoles, corrective feet when offensive, which will relieve from pain in the heel when walking.
- Surgeonworks with sesamoid bone injuries and treats inflammation of various tissues. It is also addressed if there are growths (exostosis) that must be removed.
- Rheumatologisttreats joints and helps with inflammatory processes, non-bone deformities of the foot, arthritis, polyneuropatitis.
- Nutritionistheel pain can also heal if it is caused by obesity. Properly developed diet and exercise will help to forget about the pain when walking.
If you do not know what may be the root cause of the constantly present pain in the heel region, then visitthe therapist.Having listened to the complaints and having conducted the initial examination, he will direct to a narrower specialist for the purpose of treatment.
Painkillers for heel pain
After finding out the cause of the pain, you can prescribe a drug therapy. If the patient does not require surgery or the imposition of gypsum, then massages and physiotherapeutic procedures can be prescribed. For local pain relief, a specialist may prescribe oral medications or local agents for pain relief. These include:
- for arthritis:Viprosal, Gevkamen, Diclofenac;
- tendon inflammation:Indomethacin, Fastum;
- for injuries and pains in the joints:Menovazin, Nikofleks.
Treatment of heel pain when advancing by folk remedies
Traditional medicine is powerless with the development of heel pathologies requiring intensive drug therapy or surgery. It can act as an auxiliary treatment in case of complex therapy. But with its help you can cope with:
- ankle sprains;
- pain syndromes.
If there are sprains or no pain after a bruise, you can use the following recipes of traditional medicine:
- Put raw grated potatoes on the heel. Compress change several times a day.
- Make a compress: 2 tablespoons chopped onion + 1 tablespoons sugar. Gruel to attach to the heel, wrap cling film and wear a sock. The compress keeps 24 hours.
- At night on the heel to apply the cut sheet of aloe.
Fasciitis will help to cure such agents:
- Peel the head of garlic and grate it on a fine grater. Place on a cotton cloth and attach to the heel. Garlic compress is maintained for up to 3-4 hours.
- Take 50 g of dried flowers of acacia and pour 150 ml of vodka. Insist for a week in a dark place.Lubricate the resulting tincture of the foot 4-6 times a day.
Heel pain prevention
If you do not have a predisposition to the above pathologies that can cause heel pain, then ordinary preventive measures will help to forget about it:
- Say no to shoes with heels.Give up the everyday wear of uncomfortable shoes and heeled shoes, even if it is very beautiful. The maximum allowable thick heel or wedge no more than 5 cm.
- Watch out for the mass.Obesity aggravates the pressure on the heels and adversely affects the entire work of the body.
- Healthy foods- normal nutrition, which will provide the entire trace element for stable functioning of the body. This rule applies especially to children.
- Prevention of foot injuries.Reduce physical load on the heels during workouts. Enter recumbent / sedentary exercises.