How to make a topiary with your own hands?
Watch the video
Topiary - a wonderful decoration of any interior, andAlso always a relevant souvenir to friends and relatives. You can make this work differently. We'll tell you about the average complexity version, which will require you a little skill, but it is quite simple to implement.
Preparation for work
Before you make a topiary with your own hands, prepare everything you need:
- Beads, shells, colored glass pebbles and other elements that you will decorate the crown of the tree;
- A small low vase;
- Sticks for sushi;
- The newspaper;
- Approximately 150-180 ml of water;
- About 1 - 5 tablespoons of gypsum;
- Thick thread;
- A stone crumb;
- Painting tape.
We make a skeleton
- Take two chopsticks for sushi. One crack in half and put this half just below one of the ends of a long stick so that a cross is obtained.
- Take the thread and tightly tie the sticks together.
- Now add to this cross the other halfsticks. Put it so that it is perpendicular to the long stick and the already tied half. Use the thread to bind this element. As a result, you will get a very reliable cross - the basis for the future of the topiary.
- Now you need to wrap sheets of newspapers with a crossso that the ball turned out. Just wrap the paper and gently squeeze it around the cross, creating the desired shape. Make several layers to get the ball of the desired diameter. Note that it is desirable to correlate the crown with the dimensions of the base of the tree. We will make it from a vase, and therefore it is desirable to be a little more than a vase to make the topiary look organic.
- Fasten the sheets, at the same time giving the top a smooth rounded surface with a paint tape.
We make a support
- Pour water into a plastic beaker.
- Add the gypsum and stir well.
- On a glass on top, glue a piece of painttape. Pierce it and insert through the hole the cross-base of the topiary so that it is located in the center of the cup. The paint tape will support the cross, until the gypsum mixture has solidified.
- After the mass dries, cut off the top of the cup, leaving only the bottom with the plaster.
Now our tree has a reliable stand.
We decorate the trunk and crown
- Using a glue gun, wind the barrel with string. You can apply ordinary glue with a brush, but it will not be so convenient, and the result will be less accurate.
- Now with the help of the same glue gunattach decor elements to the crown. Start with the largest parts, organically spreading them over the surface, and then close the empty seats with small parts. It will be a good idea to make cute bows or flowers from the remainders of the string and also attach them to the crown - then the design will have something in common with the trunk finish.
When everything is ready, place the tree in the vase(it should be higher than the topiary stand). Suitable for both round and square capacity. Now fill in the vase with a stone crumb, completely covering the stand of the tree. From above, you can put some decorative elements, echoing with the crown decoration. In the end, we got a topiary in the original and very stable glass "pot".
If desired, you can mix the stone crumb withsome other loose materials, decorative elements. For example, you can add wood shavings, colorful glass stones, contrasting beads and sequins. You can also carefully put a tape, paper bows, flowers from felt - only you will need to carefully arrange these elements so that they look attractive in the "soil" of your tree.
Other creative ideas for creating a decorative tree can be found in the article How to make a topiary.