How do I charge a maintenance-free battery?
In the modern world, everything changes. Due to changes in technological processes in the production of batteries, the use of unattended car batteries became widespread. As a result, there are often questions about how to charge a maintenance-free car battery. Because many car owners, using them, do not know how to properly operate such batteries. This article will tell you how to charge a maintenance-free battery.
Usual car acid batteryIt breaks down, mainly because of a decrease in the electrolyte level. Its level must be periodically monitored and refilled with distilled water. Maintenance-free car batteries are capable of operating without refilling water for a sufficiently long period of time. The water consumption of such batteries is so small that the lids through which water is poured are hermetically sealed, which causes certain inconveniences.
Problems in operation
- The inability to control the level and density of electrolyte, which is the main method of diagnosing the sulphation of battery plates.
- Reduction of the possible battery life due to the lack of the possibility of topping up distilled water to maintain the electrolyte level.
- Maintenance-free batteries may become unusable after repair of a defect in automotive equipment.
Therefore, car batteries with holesin traffic jams for the topping up of water are in a more favorable position. In case of failure of such batteries, measuring the density of electrolyte in banks in most cases will provide the most extensive information for ways to eliminate causes and make further decisions.
Unattended car batteriesthere are indicators that allow you to determine the degree of charge. This indicator is called a hydrometer. This is a float ball placed under the plates of the battery in one of the cans. It floats up and down if the electrolyte reaches a certain density.
Disadvantages of the hydrometer
- This indicator lets you know how muchcharge a maintenance-free battery. Information that allows you to determine the efficiency of the battery, it begins to give in the case of reaching a minimum level of charge, it is about 65% of capacity. Disadvantage: the indication of the indicator does not change with a further increase in the density of the electrolyte, that is, when charging up to 100%.
- The next drawback is that in this way you can get information about charging in only one bank.
- And finally, one more drawback of such an indicator. It does not provide information if the electrolyte level is lowered before stripping the plates.
If car owners decide to use non-serviced car batteries, then they should very carefully monitor the operation of electrical equipment. Namely:
- for the serviceability of the generator;
- the quality of the voltage regulator;
- because there is no leakage current in the alarm system and electrical equipment.
Although these batteries are called maintenance-free, they still have to be serviced. They also require periodic charging
Features of charging
Consider how to charge a maintenance-freefor automobile battery. It can, sometimes even need to be recharged. This is done using special chargers. They maintain the output voltage, while the charging current does not stabilize, but only it is controlled.
- Connect to a charger.
- Set the voltage regulator of the device to the minimum level.
- Turn on the charger.
- Set the charging voltage to 14.4V.
- Charging has begun.
To damage the battery this voltage is impossible. For such batteries, the main characteristic of charging is voltage, not current. During charging, the current gradually decreases. Charging will end when the current drops to 0.2.A at a voltage of 14.4V. Under no circumstances should the voltage on the terminals of an unattended car battery be higher than 15.5 volts. A current of more than 2 amperes is best not to be given. Charging lasts 25-30 hours at a constant current, that is, the charger should increase the voltage by the end of charging.
Now you know how to properly charge a maintenance-free battery.