Cucumbers in the winter on the windowsill. The best varieties of cucumbers for growing in the winter on the windowsill.
Someone will say that this is a hobby, a hobby and getting a big crop of cucumbers on a windowsill will not succeed. Although, there are craftsmen who will confidently object to them. After all, with the observance of agricultural technology, even with two or three plants, you can get enough cucumbers to please the family in the spring months. It is very easy to grow cucumbers on the windowsill, the main thing is to choose the right seeds for planting.
How to grow cucumbers in winter: the requirements for growing conditions
The main one is the lighting. In December and January, long-term illumination with the use of fluorescent or helium lamps will be required. And from the end of February, the appropriate time for planting cucumbers begins. Choose a better window facing south or southeast.
Someone might argue that this plant is shade-loving.But this condition applies to summer when there is plenty of sunshine outside. In winter, even on the windowsill of the light, it will obviously not be enough.
Another requirement is the intolerance of culture to drafts. Therefore, you need to ensure that the frames are securely closed.
The next moment is determined by the air temperature in the room. Cucumbers do not grow if it becomes below 16 degrees. The optimum temperature is 20 ºС.
And the last requirement - humidity. In winter, under the windows the batteries are hot. They dry the air. And cucumbers need high enough humidity. It can be provided with a wet towel covering the batteries.
Cucumbers on the windowsill in winter the best varieties
Stop is on those varieties of cucumbers, which are characterized by increased resistance to temperature extremes. They should grow well in the shade. And most importantly, to be self-pollinating (parthenapic).
- Schedryk. Cucumbers of this variety have a fruit length of about 12 cm. They can grow up to twenty pieces. The cucumbers ripen in one and a half months after the emergence of shoots.
- Masha F1 will be pleased with the harvest already 40 days after germination.They are cast by a large brush: in one ovary there can be up to 7 of them. At the same time, cucumbers rarely grow longer than 10 cm.
- The Onega F1 is a self-pollinating hybrid whose cucumbers are of medium size.
- Crunch is considered one of the most fruitful varieties of cucumbers for the windowsill. It manages to collect up to 45 fruits. A feature of the bush is a strong growth of the bush. Therefore, it will need a lot of space and support for long branches.
- Emelya F1 strikes with high resistance to lowering the temperature. Cucumbers of this variety grow quite large: weighing about 150 grams. Fruits ripen on 40-50 days after germination.
- Miracle on the window F1 grows up to 8 cm in length. Despite this, the total weight of the crop is large.
- According to Shchuchiyu Veleniyu it is characterized by weak branching.
You can listen to tips on choosing a variety for growing cucumbers in the winter on the windowsill or cucumbers on the balcony. Most importantly, you need to pay attention to the description of cucumber varieties so that the side shoots do not develop much, the shoots are not very tall, they do not branch very strongly. The cucumber varieties for the windowsill were hardy to shade.
Cucumbers on the windowsill in winter: the choice of capacity and soil
To get a good crop of cucumbers on the windowsill in the winter, you need to choose the right container for growing. The main requirement for a pot for cucumbers: the volume for one plant must be at least five liters. These can be separate containers (flower pots or bottles of water) or common to two or three plants (a long and tall wooden box). Only in all of them must be provided for holes in the bottom. Since cucumbers do not like the accumulation of excess moisture. Another option is to plant in a bag of earth and put it on a tray, making holes at the bottom for drainage. When planting in the balcony box does not need to plant them closely, no more than 2 plants in one box.
Now it is necessary to pour nutrient soil into prepared containers. It can be prepared from a mixture of vegetable soil, humus and peat.
It is necessary to take them in relation to 4 liters of land, one liter of the last two elements. But you can buy ready-made composition in the store. It is necessary to fill in the ground so that 3-4 centimeters are left from the top of the edges.
How to grow cucumber on the windowsill in winter
To begin with, it is recommended to germinate seeds.This will ensure that all planted take root. Then put them in prepared containers immediately to a permanent place. Seedlings do not need to replant. This will allow not to waste time on the adaptation of the plant in a new place.
Cucumber seeds to water. Then cover the floor with liter cans. They will provide plants with a greenhouse effect. Remove the banks can be after the cucumbers go to growth.
Sometimes it is recommended to plant a row of up to three seeds. Such a precaution makes it possible to choose from them the strongest plant at the very early stage of growth, and remove the rest.
In how to grow cucumbers on the windowsill, you need to follow a few tips.
- Think over in advance and prepare the system of supports. Pegs, a twine, a thick kapron thread can act in their quality.
- After a 5-6 leaf pinch the plant.
- All side shoots shorten after the appearance of the second leaf on them.
- Feed cucumbers during the growth of the whips every two weeks. From the moment fruit growth begins, this time should be reduced to 10 days.